Sunday, August 28, 2011

Connor & Cohen's First Day of School

These two kiddos started school this past Tuesday...


Connor is a big 3rd Grader now & Cohen started Preschool...


Aiden's going into Kindergarten & they always start a week later than everyone else, so he got an extra week of summer vacation this year.

First, we took Connor to school...


Here he is in front of his new classroom...


His teacher this year is Miss Funk. She seems like a great teacher & I've heard good things about her. The principal told me that she is so good that he put his own son in her class last year. What does that tell you? So far, Connor absolutely loves her! And, he thinks she looks kind of like Carly from iCarly which he thinks is awesome! He has a bunch of friends in his class & has already made some new ones too. I think he's going to have a great year!

After Connor was at school, it was time to take little Cohen to school...


It seems so weird that it is already time for him to go to school! Connor & Aiden both have fall birthdays, so they are some of the oldest in their class. Cohen's birthday is in July, so that makes him one of the youngest. It seems weird to be sending a child that is barely three-years-old to school because Connor & Aiden were both almost four when they started going. He looks so little compared to the other kids! I've thought about holding him back a year so that he would be one of the oldest. I talked to the director at the Preschool & she suggested that I enroll him for both this year & next year. Then, halfway though next year (when it's time to make the decision about whether to register him for Kindergarten or not), I sit down with his teacher & talk about how he's doing compared to the other kids in all areas (academic, social, physical, etc.) and then make the decision based on that. If I decide not to send him to Kindergarten when he's supposed to go, then he can just do a third year of preschool. With the way his preschool is set up, he wouldn't have to repeat all the same things in that 3rd year, he'd be able to continue to progress in his reading and other areas from where he left off the year before. That way he wouldn't get bored. That's why I love, love, LOVE this preschool! All my boys have gone to it now.

It's going to be tough to decide whether to hold him back or not! I hate making decisions like that. You know what I'm talking about...the decisions that will affect every aspect of your child's life. It will affect who he is friends with, who he dates, whether he gets a year of college in before his mission or not, etc. Sigh... Wish me luck!

Wow! That was a huge tangent. Okay, back to the first day of school. So, I was kind of worried about Cohen's first day. Not only is he one of the youngest, but he's also my shy child. I thought he might flip out about me leaving him with a bunch of strange kids & a strange teacher. But, he did great! He gave us hugs, walked right in & never looked back...


Woody was his show-and-tell for the day, FYI. When I went to pick him up, they weren't quite done yet, so I peaked in the little window in the door. He was sitting quietly on the floor listening to a story & being so good! I talked to his teacher, Mrs. Covington, afterward and she said that he did great! He did everything he was supposed to do & wasn't all that shy around the other kids! Yay Cohen!!! I think he's going to have a great year! Mrs. Covington is an absolute doll! When I told the director of the preschool about my concerns with Cohen being so young & shy, she told me that she would put him in Mrs. Covington's class because she is such a great teacher & does such a great job pulling kids out of their shells. Yay for great teachers!!

So, that was Connor & Cohen's first day of school for the 2011-2012 school year. I'd consider it a huge success!! Now, Aiden will start school this Tuesday. After that, it will be just me and Vivvie two mornings a week. I may actually get something done for a change! Imagine that! --Lindsay

6 comments:

Susan said...

Darling boys! Your little one looks so proud!! And don't worry, you'll know whether to hold him back or not. In any case, he will be the cutest kid in the class!

LeAnn said...

I think that would be a difficult decision, holding a child back or not. But I agree with Susan, when the time comes to make a decision, you'll know.
Our first two are the younger kids (although not the youngest) however, it has been obvious that if we were to hold them back, it wouldn't really be to their advantage.
It's going to be so weird when Ezra goes to school and he's going to be one of the very oldest. We'll see how that goes.
Cute pictures! Marisa can't wait for preschool but her school doesn't start for another week and half. She's dying!

Kristin and Dan said...

I'm so glad that Cohey has loved preschool so far! He will do great! And I seriously cannot believe that Connor is already in THIRD grade. WOW!

Jackie said...

Yay for school! They look so handsome! I forgot how late Utah starts up school. I bet you are going to love some girl time when all the boys are off to school! Good luck everyone!

Poppy said...

Good job Cohey...so brave! Connor is a natural for school.

Kristy said...

Fun times! Funk is a funny name. Just saying! I'm glad Conner likes his teacher and class. And Cohen is old enough for preschool already?! How did that happen?! I'm not putting OP in this year, although my sanity could probably use the break--next year perhaps! Poor Aiden being stuck at home for another week. Good luck getting things done--that sounds heavenly!