My Memories of President Hinckley
We've all known that President Hinckley couldn't live forever, but--in some way--it seemed like he always would. He was like the energizer bunny...he never seemed to slow down...even at the age of 97. So, when I got a text message last night from my sister telling me that he had passed away, I almost couldn't...and didn't want to...believe it. He was the 4th prophet during my lifetime, but it kind of seems like he's been the only one. Let me explain...I remember the last two or three years of Spencer W. Kimball's presidency, but by that point in his life, he was sick a lot...so we didn't get to see him very much. President Hinckley, as one of his counselors, picked up a lot of his duties and responsibilities at that time. Then, President Kimball passed away and Ezra Taft Benson became prophet. He was well for a few years, but then became very ill as well. President Hinckley once again filled the gap. Howard W. Hunter became prophet in 1994, but became sick very quickly and, yet again, President Hinckley stepped in to pick up some of his duties. So, when President Hinckley became prophet in 1995, it seemed so natural to me. It just seemed like he had kind of been the prophet all along in a way.
During his presidency, I had the opportunity to meet him and shake his hand twice...both times I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. The first time, I was at work at KBYU when President Hinckley just showed up unexpectedly to see our new studio and facilities. We were all able to shake his hand and talk to him for a few minutes. He talked to us about how he had originally planned to be a journalist & how important that career is in a free society. He talked about the country's need for honest journalist who have integrity in everything they report on. It was an amazing experience to sit in a room with only 20-25 other people, listening to the prophet. I will never forget the feeling & spirit that he brought with him.
The second time I met him was about six months later on my graduation day from BYU. Three of my friends & I were walking through campus in our caps & gowns on our way to the Marriott Center. All the sudden, a parade of golf carts started passing us. Then, one of the golf carts stopped just a few feet ahead of us & President Hinckley jumped out. He walked back to us, shook our hands and talked to us for several minutes. He asked each of us what we were graduating in & congratulated us. He once again reminded me of the importance of the career path I had chosen & how we needed more journalists that had integrity. After we had talked to him for a few minutes, he invited us over to his golf cart where he introduced us to his wife, Marjorie. She was so sweet to us and congratulated us. Then, he hopped back in his golf cart and waved good bye to us as he headed over to the Marriott Center. The four of us were in awe that he had taken time out of his day to stop and talk to four college students! I think that's what made President Hinckley such a beloved prophet. Everyone felt like he was their best friend because that's exactly how he made you feel!
So those are my memories of President Hinckley. I will miss him very much, but I am glad that he is back with his wife and, hopefully, getting to rest a little bit...that is, if he even knows the meaning of the word! --Lindsay






2 comments:
How cool is that! You not only met him but he gave you advice on your career path, whoa! That is so lucky! What a sweet tribute for a sweet sweet man! You have to check out my blog, I copied you and did a celebrity look a like blog too! Only mine is just made up by yours truly! Tell me what you think?!
Nice tribute Linz. Love Poppy
Post a Comment