Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Just One of Those Days

Today has just been one of those days where it would have been better if I had never gotten out of bed! My mom told me that bad things happen in threes. Well, if that's true, then two of the three bad things have happened to me today.

Bad Thing #1: I got rear-ended!!! Today was my day to drive carpool to preschool. Everything goes fine...kids are even happy...it's snowing pretty good, but that's okay...I just put the car in 4x4. I drop the kids off at school and go to the grocery store with Aiden. Everything goes well at the grocery store. Still snowing outside...coming down pretty good. I load up the groceries & put Aiden in his car seat with some M&Ms and then proceed to drive home. I turn onto Ranches Parkway and start driving towards my house. All the sudden, a suburban that was two cars in front of me takes a turn too fast and spins out of control. The car behind him skids off to the right shoulder to avoid him, the car in front of me skids off onto the center median. I had quite a bit of room in front of me, so I stopped without much of a problem right in the middle of my lane. I had been stopped for about a 1/2 second and was watching the chaos unfold in front of me when I feel it...BOOM! My head jolted forward and I felt the seat belt lock on my shoulder. It scared me to death & I screamed. To tell you the truth, I was so focused on what was going on in front of me that I didn't even think about cars behind me...so when I felt the impact, I didn't really know what had happened at first. Then it registered that I must have been rear-ended. I turned around to check on Aiden. He was just enjoying his M&Ms like nothing had even happened. I told him that a car had crashed into us and that mommy would be right back. I jumped out of the car and walked back to the car that hit me. It was a brand-spanken' new land rover and the front end was destroyed! I could see part of the engine because it was so ripped up. When I saw that, I was scared to look at my car, but when I finally got a good look, I was relieved to see that there really wasn't that much damage. The bumper was beat up a little here and there, but that's it. Tough little Tahoe!!! The lady that was driving the land rover got out & apologized up and down. I felt really bad for her because it really wasn't her fault...it was the stupid weather and the chaos that had occurred in front of us. She was seriously about ready to burst into tears as she explained to me that they had just bought the car yesterday! I felt so bad for her...I just gave her a hug & told her I was sorry it had happened. I didn't know what else to do! Anyway, we called the police and they came to help us fill out an accident report. The policeman decided that, because he couldn't see anything leaking from her engine, that we should drive to a near-by parking lot to fill out the paperwork. When we pulled into the parking lot, the policeman pulled up right by Aiden's door...with lights still flashing. As you can imagine, this was pretty dang cool for a two-year-old boy. He just sat there, eating his M&Ms, staring out the window at the flashing lights and saying, "Mom...cars crash...police car comes...cool!" He was in seventh heaven. Well, at least some good came out of it...a little boy got quite the show! p.s. to this story...I just heard on Channel Two that there were 8 crashes in Utah County today. I was one of those crashes...woo hoo! Not really...

Bad Thing #2: My cell phone broke. Here's a little background, I bought a new phone last February. Then, two weeks later, I dropped it in the toilet. Yes, I dropped it in the toilet. I won't go into that story so that I can keep at least some of my pride. Anyway, after it was dropped in the toilet, we pulled it apart and blow dried it. Luckily, it's worked fine ever since...but the "toilet incident" DID void the warranty. That's where the problem comes in. Today, I went to charge it & it wouldn't charge. I tried everything I could think of, but it wouldn't charge. So, I called tech support. They had me try a few things, but still no luck. The girl said that since I had owned it for less than a year, they would just send me a new phone. She told me to pull the battery out and look for a little sticker so that I could tell her what color it was. She said it would either be white or red. I told her it was red. At that point, she told me that she could no longer help me because my phone had experienced water damage and so the warranty was void. That's when I remembered the "toilet incident". I told the girl about it and said that the phone had worked fine for almost a year. She said that it didn't matter if the phone had worked fine for a year or not, she still couldn't help me. Grrrr... So, I made a couple more phone calls to my trusty cell phone "sources" ...aka my sister, Kristin, & my brother-in-law, Greg, who both work for T-mobile. Together, they were able to help me get a decent deal on another phone. It still stinks that I have to pay big bucks to get a phone exactly like the one that worked yesterday, but they did save me almost $100...so that's good. And, it IS good that it happened today instead of a week from now because Greg's last day is this week. (He got a new job a few weeks ago and I think his last day at T-mobile is tomorrow.) So, if there is a silver lining to this story...that is it. So, a big thank you to both Greg & Kristin. Thanks for being so creative in your money-saving ways! You guys rock!!!

So, that's my day in a nutshell. Tons of fun, eh? Now I can just sit around and wait for Bad Thing #3. It's almost like I'm tempting fate...it's actually kind of fun ("kind of" being the key words there). If/when #3 happens, I'll let you know! --Lindsay

7 comments:

Melanie said...

You had an adventure filled day! Sorry about the crash..at least your car wasn't hurt and you guys were okay! I love 4 x 4 though. And I have put Jared's cell phone through the wash twice, the first time he was okay..the second time he was kind of mad!

Anonymous said...

yes, i am quite a life-saver. i know.

Anonymous said...

Linz hang in there until it turns midnight and then you can stop worrying about #3! You know when Connor prays and he always says,"hope we can have a great day;" well, I guess it was a great day for Aiden. A cool crash and a police car. A two-year-old's delight! Love Poppy

The Swensons said...

I'm glad to see your bumper isn't destroyed. Hopefully it will be a quick and easy repair! As for your phone's warranty being void after the toilet incident, it's a good thing we girls talked you into a purse so your phone will no longer be in your pocket! :)

Tara said...

I was sick for a minute about your car since I knew you were okay. I know how you love your car. I am glad that you, Aiden and the car are all right. So I too have dropped a cell phone in the toilet. Twice. I have also dropped a phone in cream of mushroom soup and I had one slip off the arm of my couch into my icewater. I am really great with cell phones. I can't believe after all the bad weather that you have driven in that your accident happened like almost in front of your house. I hope tomorrow is much better.

Tara said...

I do know how to spell alright. I guess it's late and I should be asleep.

Kelli Proctor said...

I am so sorry you had one of those days, it could always be worse right?! I think it would always be a good time to get together and and do a movie, but I know for sure Rog doesnt even let me look at a scary movie, he is way too protective. He knows how much i freak out! haha, but that is funny you get so freaked out too easily.