Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

We had a fun-filled 4th of July this year. We started off the day with our annual tradition of eating breakfast at McDonalds.


We have done this tradition since I was a little girl. Well, actually, we used to get up at the crack of dawn to go watch the hot air balloon races & THEN go to McDonalds. But, somewhere along the way (probably when my parents had three teenagers to try to wake up), we stopped going to the balloon race...but breakfast at McDonalds has managed to stand the test of time. After our yummy breakfast, we headed down to the Grand Parade in Provo.


Here are the boys watching the fighter jets fly over the parade route, signaling the beginning of the parade. My mom & I decided to skip out on the first part of the parade & head straight to the bizarre to spend a little cash! We all had a blast & the weather wasn't too hot at that point (at least for the people who WEREN'T 7 1/2 months pregnant). After the parade, we headed back to my parents' house for a few minutes & then jumped right back in the car to head up to my sister's house in Logan. Unfortunately, some of us didn't make it all the way up to Logan...I had to work the afternoon & evening shows at work, so everyone stopped at Rubio's Mexican Grill and ate lunch with me...then dropped me off at work. I was totally bummed that I couldn't go up to Logan, but I guess it's okay. Afterall, I've really lucked out the past few years...I haven't worked the 4th of July since I lived in Louisiana back in 2003, so I guess I was overdue. Anyway, enough of my pity party & subsequent pitiful efforts at being optimistic about it, back to the festivities... Once Mike, the kids & my parents got up to Kristin & Dan's house, they all decided to head over to a vintage car show that was going on up there. I'm sure Mike was really disappointed about this... :)


The boys (all of them) had a blast...and Kristin & my mom were good sports about tagging along. After the car show, everyone headed back to Kristin & Dan's house for a barbeque. And, guess who showed up? Well, at least from TV land...


At least I was semi-there! :) Everyone said the barbeque was to die for! Kristin & Dan put on quite the party! They made pulled pork sandwiches, potato salad, jello salad, & chips. Here's the spread...


After dinner, my mom took Connor & Aiden to the nearby school to play a little bit. That's when the day turned ugly...Connor came down with a case of the stomach flu (that he most likely caught from Aiden, who had the stomach flu just a few days ago. FYI, I'm EXTREMELY sick of throw up. Someone save me!!!) Anyway, the poor kid was so sick! But, hey, what's the 4th of July if someone doesn't throw up?!? Luckily, after a little rest, relaxation & Wii-therapy...


He was feeling slightly better & was able to light off fireworks & sparklers with everyone else!


The kids had a BLAST! And, we only ended up with one minor burn this year (Aiden's thumb got burned by a sparkler). This is quite the accomplishment for our family, considering how Mike magically becomes a psychopath whenever he's around matches & tightly-compacted gunpowder. After the fireworks, everyone piled back in the car (where Connor promptly threw up again) & headed back down the Wasatch Front to pick me up from work after the 10:00 show. Overall, it was a great day...even though Connor's stomach didn't cooperate at the end! Here's some other pics from the day's activities...

Aiden & I waiting for our food at McDonalds


Aiden's concoction...a McGriddle & Apple Dippers sandwich


The boys plugging their ears as the cannons marched by. Apparently, loud sounds don't bother Connor.


What better way to see a car show than riding on someone's shoulders while trying to look cool in your shades!


Connor's favorite part of the car show...this huge monster truck. My boy is white trash in the making...


Connor sitting inside the wheel of the monster truck


Aiden's turn...


Mike's favorite...a porshe of some sort. Big surprise there...


Apparently, vintage cars & Power Ranger poses go hand-in-hand. At least in Connor's world...



The love birds...


Hope y'all had a great holiday! Happy 4th of July! --Lindsay

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Car shows and 100 degree temperatures just don't go hand-in-hand. You forgot to mention that Poppy was promised a chance to go to the Styx concert at the Logan Fairgrounds, but somebody had to work and we had to leave early to pick her up...oh, well there's always the U2 Laser Light Show coming up! Love Poppy

MaryRuth said...

I love the picture of Connor pointing to you ont he TV... so cute!

The Swensons said...

Looks like a lot of fun! But Poor Con - that boy throws up way too much (with his acid reflux and all)! I feel for him...

The Knighton Fam said...

Barfing = lames thing ever. You have my condolences!

Rachel said...

Looks like it was one jam packed fun fourth for you guys! How fun! I love that holiday. Hopefully you are all on your way to feeling better!

Kelli Proctor said...

looks like it was a ton of fun! You have such a cute family!

Anonymous said...

You forgot the most awesome guacomole EVER and hot dogs for your screamers! And muddie buddies for dessert! See what you missed out on stuage?!