Thursday, July 31, 2008

Cohen's Story

Okay, for those of you who have been wondering...here's the story of Cohen's birth...

I woke up early Saturday morning (probably around 2:00 am) to a contraction. No big deal...just a braxton hicks contraction I thought...so I went back to sleep. A few minutes later, I woke up to another contraction. "Why are these contractions so strong?" I asked myself. Then a few minutes later, another one. I started to get really annoyed. My alarm clock was going to go off at 3:00 am because I had to go to work...I REALLY needed to get a little more sleep. "Why won't these contractions just stop?" I asked myself. Finally, at around 2:30, I decided to start timing them...they were consistently about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes apart. I decided I should wake Mike up. We sat there in bed together, timing contractions. Same thing...3 1/2 to 4 minutes apart. "How in the world could I be in labor?" I asked. "My due date isn't for another 4 weeks?" My other boys were both about a week & a half early...so I was expecting Cohen's arrival around the middle of August. NEVER in a million years would I have expected to go into labor at the end of July. "What do we do?" I asked myself. "His nursery is still a construction zone & all the baby clothes are in a box somewhere in the basement! I CAN NOT be in labor! I'm not ready!!!" Just then, my alarm clock went off. Time to decide if I was really in labor, or if I should just get up and get ready for work." After a few minutes of deliberation, I...thinking that there was NO WAY I was really in labor 4 weeks early...decided to get up & get ready for work. As soon as I stood up, the contractions started getting quite a bit stronger. Being through this war before, I then KNEW that I was in labor...and was probably dilated to a 3 or 4. In between contractions, I called my station & then my parents, while Mike packed a couple bags. Mike then loaded everything (including two very sleepy boys) into the car & we took off. We met my parents at their house & dropped off Connor & Aiden...then it was off to the hospital.

At the hospital, my nurse determined that I really was in labor...as I was now dilated to a 5 or a 6, she said. She told me she would call my doctor. A few minutes later, she came back into the room to tell me that NONE of my doctors were on call. Another doctor (who sometimes helps out my group of doctors) was on call for them. I was absolutely devastated! I am of the opinion that there is nothing worse when you are in labor, than to be delivered by someone you have never met before. The doctor (I think his name was Dr. Whiting...but I'm not sure because I wasn't really paying attention to trivial details such as that at the time) came in to talk to us. He was about a million and a half-years-old. He explained to me that he was a little concerned that I had gone into labor so early. He told us that he could try to stop the labor, although he wasn't sure if he would be successful since I was so far along at that point...plus, he said the drugs could be hard on the baby. The other option would be to just go ahead and have the baby, although that could be dangerous...as his lungs may not have been fully developed yet. He left the room to let us decide what we wanted to do. Both Mike & I felt good about just having the baby, so we told him our decision. At that point, the doctor told me that if I WAS going to go ahead with the labor...he would recommend not having an epidural. "Why in the world would I NOT have an epidural?" I asked him. He explained to me that once an epidural is administered, labor usually slows down...sometimes, it slows down so much that pitocin has to be given to get it going again. If this were to happen to me, the pitocin could be extremely hard on the baby since he was premature. Could he give a girl any worse news?!? He asked me how I felt about that & I said, "I've never gone through labor naturally...so it scares me a lot." He went on to tell me that LOTS of women do it & it's NOT SO BAD. At this point, and in a lot of pain, I said to this doctor, "And how would YOU know that it's 'not so bad'? How many babies have YOU given birth to?" (Yes, I know...I'm going to hell...but I was in SERIOUS pain at this point & this old man was telling me that it "wasn't that bad"! Anyway...) The doctor then left the room again. My nurse came to me at that point and said, "Listen...he's an old guy & he's very old-fashioned. If you want the epidural, you get the epidural. If we have to administer pitocin, we'll deal with that when we get there." A few minutes, & a few EXTREMELY strong contractions later, I called for the anesthesiologist. Once he got there, I was dilated to an 8...continuing my trend of getting epidurals at that magical number (I haven't ever gotten an epidural sooner than that because I go through labor so quickly). The epidural DID slow my labor down quite a bit (I sat at an 8 for the next several hours), but it never completely stopped it...so I never had to be given pitocin. At 7:00 am, one of my regular doctors (Dr. Reese) came in & took over for Dr. Whats-his-name. I was so relieved! He said he would check back in with me about an hour later. At around 8:00 am, he came in and broke my water (it has NEVER broken on it's own). He told me that he was going to go see some patients at the office, but that he would come back as soon as I was ready to start pushing. Once my water was broken, I started having HORRIBLE contractions...and wouldn't you know it, my epidural started wearing off at the same time. I have NEVER felt such pain in all my life!!! I thought the contractions at an 8 were bad...little did I know what contractions at a 10 would actually feel like. I started hitting my epidural button to administer more fluid...but eventually, I maxed it out & the machine wouldn't give me anymore. (Haha! I felt like such a junkie!) My nurse called the anesthesiologist & he came and gave me a good dose that took most, but not all, the pain away. My nurse checked me again & said I was ready to push. She called Dr. Reese & he said he would be over as soon as he could. We waited...and waited...and WAITED (for about 30 minutes) but no Dr. Reese. Eventually, another doctor (Dr. Gamette) came in. He said Dr. Reese was too busy at the office, so he was sent in.

Dr. Gamette got all suited up & the NICU unit was called in just in case Cohen couldn't breathe. I have NEVER given birth with so many people in the room before...it was a little bizarre! Anyway, about two minutes & three pushes later, Cohen was born. I heard this itty bitty cry (that sounded more like a kitten than a baby) and then NICU whisked him away to the other side of the room to be given oxygen. I was so scared, but about three minutes later, the NICU staff started to trickle out of the room, saying that he was breathing on his own now & doing great! I have NEVER felt so much relief in all my life! This little baby & I have been through a lot together...with all the problems I had at the beginning of the pregnancy, and now an early delivery...I was just SO happy to know that he was here & healthy! So, that's the story of Cohen's birth! It was a little scary, but ended up having a happy ending! I mean how much happier can it get? I ended up with a healthy (although very small) baby...plus, I got to skip out on the 9th month of pregnancy (and the stretch marks that come along with it)! --Lindsay

18 comments:

Jackie said...

Crazy! That is so weird, I didn't get my epiderul until halfway through and if anything it helped speed up my labor - my body just wouldn't dilate until it relaxed a bit. It all seems to have happened so fast for you! I'm glad to hear everyone is ok though! He really is a sweetie Linz! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that I was always in the supporting role in the delivery room. I don't know how you girls do it! Great story and stay away from ancient baby doctors in the future. Love Poppy

MaryRuth said...

maybe I'll start reading your blog again in seven weeks when I'm done. I cannot handle horror stories right now :)

So glad everything went ok for you and little one!!

Rachel said...

Okay okay superwoman...you just had a baby and you have managed to tell us all the story within the week. There should be some kind of blogging award for that! I am so glad that all worked out and that he is here and healthy! I am so glad you ended up with an epidural (at least for the most part!) and you didn't have to do it natural. Mine have all gone to 8's too and I thought I was going to die then! Congratulations again to your family! Get some rest!!!

LeAnn said...

I'm exactly the same way about wanting to know the Dr. who delivered my babies and I was unlucky enough to have never met the nurse/midwife who delivered Roman, I realized I really didn't like that so I switched to a practice w/ just one doctor and he was on Spring break when Marisa was born! You just can't win.
I'm glad it all turned out in the end and that Cohen is here safe and sound.

Amanda said...

Way to go telling the old doctor off! When you're in pain there should be no accountablity for the things you say. When I was 17, I had to have my appendix out. When I woke up from anethesia, I was in so much pain, and in the pain and frustration of waiting for what seemed like forever for pain meds, I told the nurse to go to hell. And when I was in labor with Tait (he was upside down, his big noggin' got stuck, and my epidural was wearing off), I remember saying a few unladylike words! Hopefully those situations don't count against us when we're trying to get a ticket into heaven!

Emily said...

THANK YOU FOR POINTING OUT THE OBVIOUS TO THE DOCTOR. Hasn't he ever heard Bill Cosby's monologue about child birth? His wife said is was like TAKING YOUR BOTTOM LIP AND FOLDING IT OVER YOUR HEAD.

I would have told him off too! Ask any woman, NATURAL CHILDBIRTH IS THAT BAD. If it wasn't that bad, there would be no need to invent the epidural.

What a scary, and happy story all at once. I'm so glad you and your little kidlet are fine!

Seriously, don't be such work-aholic the next time you go into labor. CALL IN SICK. Even if you are having Braxton Hicks . . . :)

Kelli Proctor said...

WOW! THat is so crazy! So glad little Cohen is her healthy and happy!

samlyndseyfalkner said...

I still can't believe you already had him, you lucky girl!!! LOL Kind of! I am just glad you and Cohen are okay!! BTW......He's freaking adorable!!!! Good job you guys, we will have to come see you soon :)

Amanda C said...

What a day! He is absolutely adorable!

Mar and Koki said...

I'm so glad everything went well. What a story. Congrats!!!!

Amberly said...

Okay, so you don't know me but I came acrossed your blog through Valerie Cluff's (she is my neighbor) anyway, I just wanted to tell you congrats on your adorable little Cohen, he is so cute!!! I am glad both of you are doing well, after everything you had to go through. Also, I love watching you and Issa on the weekends, you guys are so down to earth and fun to watch....Thank You!!:)

Unknown said...

Congrats! No offense but its stories like these that sometimes make adoption seem to appealing!! He's adorable and I'm glad to hear your all doing well!

Melanie said...

That is just crazy! I am glad that everything turned out good..and you have one cute little guy to show for it!

Kristy said...

I'm so sure that crusty old doctor told you it was no big deal! Whatever dude! Glad you were able to get your epidural (HEAVEN!) and that everything turned out so well. He's so darling--glad he's here, glad you're all doing so well! Keep the pictures coming!

TheShippenFamily said...

Congratulations. He is so adorable!! Bowling, that is probably the one thing I didn't try to get Lily out.
I am glad everything went well.
I hope your book comes soon. It is really good.

Tara said...

Holy moly that is quite the story. He is a cutie. How are the brothers doing with him? I hope everything is going great and you are feeling good.

The Johnson Family said...

Awesome- I love a good birthing story! I am glad that you are doing well. I feel your pain on the unknown doctor thing- I won't even go to a clinic because I feel like the Doctor who catches that baby (seriously isn't that all they usually do?!) should have been with you the whole 9 months! Earn all that money pal!