Sunday, May 17, 2009

VRRROOOOOOMMMM! (A guy's day out)

You all have read about many of the crazy and fun things Linz and the girls do on their "girls night" outings, so I thought I should post a little story about a great "boys only day" that we had this weekend (and it was sooo much better than any of those girly things). Thanks to a well connected father-in-law (thanks Phil!!!), we were off to the races. Seriously! The boys (Mike, Connor and Aiden) went out to the Miller Motorsports Raceway for an afternoon of high performance, super fast, and mind numbingly loud excitement!






For any of you who do not know, I am a car nut! I love to fix them, paint them, and pretend to know how to drive them. This was basically a dream come true for me. As a serious car fan, I also feel it is my responsibility to expose (indoctrinate/brainwash if I have to) my little men to the pure excitement and joy that comes from the smell of gasoline and burning rubber. I mean, what little boy wouldn't love to see super fast, extremely loud, and masterfully built technological wonders pushing the barriers of friction, knowing that at any minute they may catastrophically spin out of control? And of course, they loved it...or at least they loved the cookies! I had a blast!


I called Lindsay and said that I had a great new idea for a career change, but that was all I could get out before she began laughing and hung up the phone! Ouch!

(Great picture Connor!)


It was a beautiful day with lots of sun, and we had a great time. But, even an event as wonderful as this one could only keep the little ones excited for a few hours before I began to hear the “dad, can we go home now, I am hot and want to play with friends.” What? Picking friends over racing?! I think I may have a long road ahead of me before the indoctrination will be complete.

What a day!

6 comments:

Kristin and Dan said...

Pretend to know how to drive them is true!

"MIKE! Drive." --Aiden

Ha ha

Lindsay and Mike said...

If you are going to change careers, I better bump up your life insurance policy a little more...just in case! What?!? I've seen the way you drive on city streets...I don't even want to THINK about how crazy you would be on a racetrack!

Thanks for taking the monsters yesterday! Love you tons!

Linz

Melanie said...

Jared and my Brother went out there too...I went one year, I really think it is a "guy" thing!

Poppy said...

Sounds like next time Mike better take his adult buddies if we wants to spend more time at the track dreaming of being a race car driver.

Kelli Proctor said...

Looks like tons of fun! Rog and I have been to that raceway and it is a blast! Loved it! I thought the cars in the parking lot of the spectators were just as awesome as the ones that were racing! Fancy! Looks like mothers day was awesome for you, you have such a great family! And good luck to Mike on his job change! That is awesome!

Elise & Ty said...

If you drive cars at all like you drive motorcycles when in the vicinity of a McDonald's, then we should all be very scared!

Our son is already being indoctrinated on the subject of dirt bikes and he hasn't even made it out of the womb yet - boys and their internal combustion engines!