Friday, March 23, 2012

Dear Aiden

Dear Aiden,

Oh my sweet little Aiden! You are my comic relief in this life! People always told me that children come "pre-wired" with their personalities. After you joined our family, I knew that was true!

You are our free spirited child...and by that, I mean you are our wild & crazy (and sometimes out of control) child. You have taught me that life is meant to be enjoyed, and not just now & then...every single second is to be enjoyed. And, that's how you live your life! You love to have fun...ALL.THE.TIME. You're constantly doing things you're not supposed to do because, as you put it, "It just looked fun!" Oh boy, you're going to be a joy as a teenager, aren't you?

You do surprise us from time-to-time though...like the other morning, when you were upstairs getting ready. You had been up there for far too long, and I thought that surely you had gotten distracted & were playing with toys or jumping off the bunk beds. I hollered upstairs for you to stop goofing around & to come downstairs and watch for your carpool. You bounded down the stairs & said, "But mom, I wasn't goofing around. I decided to organize my bathroom cabinet & then I organized my sock drawer. That's what was taking me so long." I replied with, "Ummm, okay. Good job! Thanks for doing that." But, in the back of my mind, I was thinking, "Who are you & what have you done with my Aiden?"


You are such a smart little boy! You excel at everything you learn...reading, math, spelling, etc...it all comes easy for you. I'm so jealous of this. I've always considered myself a smart person, but I have always had to work hard at things to really learn them & apply them. But, this isn't the case for you, everything just comes naturally for you, without effort. It's like you learn something & your brain absorbs every single bit of it instantly. I've also decided that you have a photographic memory. You have always been able to memorize things very easily. A few weeks ago, I pointed this fact out to you & asked you how you did it. You replied very matter-of-factly, "Mom, I don't memorize things. I can just see the page in my head & I read it straight out of my brain!" Ummm...okay. Now I'm super jealous!

You are also quite the little gamer...much to my dismay. I always said that I wouldn't have gamer children. But, you just excel at it...like everything else. In fact, your older brother often asks you for help on his video games. You just seem to understand how all tech gadgets work. I have asked you for help with the iPad more times than I can count.

You are kind of a mama's boy. And, I mean that in a good way. When I pick you up from school, you always run to meet me & give me a huge hug. In fact, most the time you jump on me to give me the hug! And, being that you now weigh almost half of what I do, it has come close to toppling me several times.

You also like to be home. If a friend wants to play with you, you prefer to play at our house. I remember one time I told you that you shouldn't *always* have to play at our house, and that it's okay to play at your friends' houses every once in awhile. You responded with, "I know Mom. I just like it here best!" Can't complain about that!


You are a really good big brother...especially to Cohen. You have always taken care of him & let him pal around with you & your friends. Every once in awhile, you'll complain about it, but most the time you are happy to just let him pretend he's one of the big boys. Cohen absolutely worships you & thinks you are the greatest thing since sliced bread because of it!

You have a tender heart & never like to see anyone hurt or sad. You are always quick to ask what's wrong or to give a hug when someone is crying. That's not exactly the case when *you* were the one to inflict the pain though. Getting an apology out of you is like pulling teeth sometimes.


You are my kid who needs sleep! Oh boy, do you ever need sleep. Some kids can get by with not enough sleep, but not you! You need a minimum of 11 hours of sleep to be yourself. Get anything less than that and you become Mr. Whiny Pants. Everything makes you cry. And, don't even think about asking you to take a nap. You'd rather eat dirt than be forced to lay down during daylight hours!


But, when you have enough sleep (and a full belly) you are the happiest kid on the planet! (Oh wait, I guess that means you're a normal man. Hehe!) You are sweet and kind and happy. And, you have the cutest little smile...


We love you Aiden! You bring so much joy to our family. We love your wild spirit, and your good-natured ways. We love the funny little things you say and the laughter you bring to our home. I think you may conquer the entire world someday with your big brain, fun personality, big heart, free spirit & dashing good looks. :) I'm excited to see the man that you will become someday. Thanks for being part of our family! I love you more than you'll ever know! --Mom

2 comments:

Maughan"sters" said...

That's how Cam is...must be a 2nd child thing!!

Poppy said...

I had to laugh when Aiden called Connor "my mortal enemy." Sounds like a gamer term to me!