Thanksgiving Weekend 2010
We had a fun-filled Thanksgiving weekend this year! Seriously, it was jam-packed! I loved every second of it! Here's what we did...
THANKSGIVING
For the first time ever, Mike & I hosted Thanksgiving dinner! I was super excited to be hosting, but totally freaked out at the same time! I worried about everything...would there be enough food, would everyone have a good time, would it come anywhere near the extravagant feast that my mom puts on every year? Seriously...I was stressed! But, it ended up going great! We only had 9 people this year (the five in our family, my parents, and Kristin & Dan), so I ended up only having to set one table. I even pulled out our wedding china that we've used a grand total of 2 times since we got married! Here's the table all set...
Here's everybody that was there (minus Dan who is taking the picture) and our spread of food...
Mike made the turkey & it was so good! He brined it & then put a bunch of yummy stuff inside (apples, rosemary, sage, etc.) I'm seriously so glad I married an excellent chef! It was delicious!!! In addition to the turkey, there was mashed potatoes & gravy, yams, green bean casserole, cranberries, stuffing (lots and lots of stuffing), rolls (both normal & the ones with the brown sugar, butter, coconut, etc. melted on top), a veggie tray with dip, and my mom's famous Christmas Ribbon Salad. Everything was so yummy!
Once we had digested, we moved on to pie. I wasn't about to attempt pie, so Kneader's took care of that part for me. Ummm...Kneader's pies!
Later that night, Kristin & Dan met up with Dan's family, and my parents & our family went to see this movie...

Loved it! Seriously, I LOVED IT!!! It reminded me of the Disney Princess movies of old. Even my boys loved it! When we first decided to go see it, Connor & Aiden were not very happy. They felt "Megamind" would have been a better choice for a family of boys. But, they ended up LOVING it! Yes, it's a movie about a princess, but it's a great movie for boys too! It was awesome!
DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING
On the day after Thanksgiving, Ashlee & her kiddos came down to my parents house, so we headed down there too. The boys had a blast watching movies...
And drawing...
We all ended up going to do some shopping. I didn't buy much because most my Christmas shopping was already done. And, I realized that if you don't HAVE to buy anything, Black Friday shopping can be kind of fun! I'm still not going to get up at 3:00 am to go, but it wasn't all that bad at 3:00 in the afternoon!
Later that night, we invited everyone back over to our house to eat all the leftovers. There was WAY too much for just our family to eat, so we decided to share. Dan's family that was visiting from New Jersey was even able to come over! It was a great night! We had a blast eating Thanksgiving all over again & chatting the night away...
On Saturday, we had planned to set up our Christmas tree & other holiday decorations. Last year, I went to Tai Pan the morning after Christmas to get a new Christmas tree. I knew that I would need a much taller tree for the new house. I found a beautiful twelve-foot-tall tree that was 50% off. I bought it, took it home & stored it away.
Well, this past Saturday we went to put it up & realized that they had given us TWO bases & no top. What the crap?!? I called them up to see if I could just bring in one of the bases & trade it for a top. That was a no go. The girl on the phone told me that I had bought a "2009 model" and that it had been discontinued for 2010. Who knew they made "model years" of Christmas trees?!? Isn't a Christmas tree just a Christmas tree? I didn't know they had to re-design them every year like cars! It's a tree people! I explained to the girl that I didn't care if it had been discontinued...I had a Christmas tree with two bases & no top! And, even though I got it half off, it still cost me a pretty penny & I expected them to make it right. Well, eventually...several hours later after talking to the store director...they finally decided to help me. They told me I could bring the old tree back to the store & trade it for a new tree. YAY! We found one we liked that was a little more money than the original one I had bought, but they said it wasn't a big deal & just traded it straight across! Wahoo! Later that day, Mike assembled the new tree while I was at work (and, yes, this one had a base AND a top--thankfully) and then he & the boys decorated it on Sunday afternoon. I was expecting to come home from work & have to redecorate it...especially since you can only reach the top with a ladder. I really thought the bottom would be covered in ornaments & it would be pretty sparse on top, but I think they did a really good job! Here's the tree with both the lights on & off...
I love it! I am seriously so excited for Christmas now! I can't wait to wrap presents just so I can put them under that tree...and I'm not a big fan of wrapping presents!
So, that was our Thanksgiving weekend in a nutshell. I loved everything about it! We have so much to be thankful for this year! Hope all of you had a great Turkey Day! --Lindsay






9 comments:
Lindsay your tree is just gorgeous!!! That's awesome they gave you a new tree. I've always wanted to go to Tai Pan...Jennifer got me some red star ornaments from there and they're darling.
What a fun weekend. Hosting Thanksgiving is a big job, but I think it's kind of fun to have it at your own house.
Your tree looks great! How fun to have a real mantle on the fireplace to hang stockings, too. I'm trying to convince Cameron that that should be his next project for our house!
Good to know that Tangled is good for boys! Our extended family went but we opted out since we have mostly boys!! Love the tree!
Looks like a great Thanksgiving weekend for you, Lindsay!
I LOVE cooking Thanksgiving dinner, so I'm glad you had a good experience! Your tree is LOVELY! I'm glad you were able to sort that mess out. I don't understand how some things have year models--like mattresses...do they really change that much from year to year?! :)
The whole weekend was tons of fun! Cohen was so serious during "Tangled," but he did comment often when the two crooks would show up, "Bad guys!"
Wow!! What a fabulous weekend! So glad you had so much fun.
WOW! SO fun! And I am super impressed with your hosting skills! Great job! And by the way, you have got to be the cutest prego girl EVER!!!!
Beautiful Tree! Looks like you did a great job hosting, great weekend!
Post a Comment