Thursday, January 8, 2009

Our New (Old) House

As many of you know, the Storrs family has been living in a construction zone for the past 6 months. Basically, every room in our house has been torn up at some point. If you don't live close to us (and haven't been able to experience the craziness in person), here's what we've been up to...

About a year & a half ago, when Mike & I were thinking about having a baby (Cohen), we played with the idea of selling our house & building a new one. As soon as we started talking about it, both of us immediately did NOT feel good about moving. We felt like (and still feel like) this is where we need to be right now for whatever reason. So, we decided that instead of building a new house, we would just finish the basement & remodel some of the upstairs to make our old house feel like a new one. Mike said he could do most the work himself to keep costs down...but he says that about everything! Silly man! I can't tell you how many times I have seen something I wanted to buy, only to have him say, "I could make that for 5 dollars!" Can't a girl just BUY something every once in awhile?

Anyway, fast forward a few months to last winter...my sister's husband was working as the manager of a tile store in Salt Lake, but had decided that he wanted to move on to something else. We decided that we might as well buy some tile for the basement (even though we wouldn't need it for awhile) while he was working there because he could get us such a good deal. So, we went and picked out some beautiful tile. Greg ended up getting us SUCH a good deal that we decided to tile the upstairs kitchen, entry & bathrooms too (to replace the pergo & vinyl we originally put in) so that everything would match!! We also decided (and this is my favorite part) to HEAT the tile too. I love tile, but I HATE how cold it can be in the winter. I swear I am cold blooded...my toes are always freezing...so the thought of warm tile sounded like a fabulous idea to me! Anyway, a huge "Thank You" goes out to Greg for getting us such a great deal!!

When the tile & everything came in a few weeks later, Mike got to work. First, he decided to tear apart the boys' bathroom & start there. This is what it looked like for several weeks... (Yes, the toilet really IS in the bathtub)

Mike had never done tile work before, but he paid a guy to come teach him how to do it & then he took off on his own after that. (Have I mentioned that I LOVE having a handy...and hot...husband?) Anyway, here's the finished product...

Mike did a great job & he picked up the art of tile work very quickly...although there WERE a few mishaps along the way...


After the boys bathroom was finished, Mike decided to tackle the entryway & then our master bathroom. Here's a picture of the master bath before it was grouted...


And then, he got up the courage to tackle the kitchen...which was quite the feat because it was so much bigger than the other rooms he had done previously. Here's a picture of it halfway done. I took it so you could see the heating element. It's those little silver cords that you see running from left to right across the picture...


Everything ended up looking great when it was done! It ended up looking so good, that it made our original carpet look like CRAP next to it! Mike got the "let's re-carpet the house bug". The original plan was to re-carpet the house at the same time we put carpet in the basement, so that it could all match. But, Mike convinced me that it could be YEARS before it was time to carpet the basement & that we couldn't live with our crappy carpet sitting next to our beautiful tile for that long. He DID have a good point... So, yes, we ended up re-carpeting the upstairs (and bought all the carpet for the basement too, so that it can all match someday...it's now out in the garage...where my car is supposed to be...oh well).

There is a guy who lives in our neighborhood that owns his own carpet business. Mike told him we were interested in re-carpeting & he told us he could get us a good deal....and he wasn't kidding! We picked out the carpet that we liked & he ordered it. Then, we actually went to another carpet store to see how much a similar carpet was selling for there. It was $45 per square yard!!! We got it for less than HALF that much! Holy cow!!! I love paying half price! Yes, we're cheap & we know it...and LOVE it! So, here's a big thank you & plug for James Carmon! If you need carpet, he's your man!
Anyway, so this past week, the carpet came in & our life has been complete craziness since! We (and by "we", I mean Mike) had to move all the furniture from one side of the house to the other side & into the kitchen area. This is what it looked like...


The old carpet was ripped up...


And then, the pad was laid (James was able to get us the memory foad pad for just a little bit more than a regular pad! It's delicious!!!)...


And, then the carpet was laid...

After that side of the house was done, we (again, meaning Mike) had to move everything from the bedrooms (including the furniture that had previously been moved in there the day before) back to the other side...

Including our beds...so we had a campout in the family room one night...


Here's the finished product in our master bedroom. I wish there was a way to take a picture of carpet & have it actually look the way it does in person...


It's the prettiest carpet! It's a warm brownish-gold color. The strands are different widths...some are fat/others are skinny, so it has a textured-look to it. And, it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO thick & soft. Here's a picture of it in my little sitting room. I think this is a better picture of it...

And, here's a picture of the carpet up next to the tile...


Again, the pics don't do it justice...wish they did, but they don't! The color isn't as warm as it is in person. I am sooooooooo in love with my new (old) house right now...and my wonderful husband too (Mike made me put that in)! --Lindsay

25 comments:

Carolina girl said...

Wow! He did a great job! It looks awesome!

Amanda said...

Wow! It looks great! I bet your house even smells new now. Good job Mike, the Handyman!

Jeff and Alyssa Hertzler said...

Everything looks amazing! How awesome that Mike just jumps right in and figures stuff out and then does a great job too! Seriously, he oughta think about hiring himself out, that boy has some talent!!:)

The Johnson Family said...

It is SO wonderful to have a handy husband! Good job Mike! Everything looks wonderful and doesn't it just make it even better when you get a deal!

Unknown said...

Thats awesome! Mike definetly is in the running for "Best Hubby of the Year"! Can I just come over and stand on your heating tile, since my toes are always freezing?

The Swensons said...

It looks awesome! I'm excited to come see it in person. I have to laugh that you guys have done all that work to your house, and it's newer than ours! (However, I guess we re-carpeted too...) Well, congrats! That is so fun.

Rachel said...

WOW! You guys have been busy busy! I bet it is gorgeous in person! We have tile and I love it...but to have it warm too...now I am jealous! Congrats on your new (old) house!

Stefanie Raynes said...

Everything looks so great! I LOVE the tile and the heating. It's more fun (I think) re-doing an old house than getting a new one!

Anonymous said...

I guess now the only project left for Mike is the basement (and his bug). I bet the boys had fun sleeping in the family room. The carpet looks great. Love Poppy

LeAnn said...

oooh I love new carpet! Lucky girl

Kristin and Dan said...

It looks awesome!! Good job to Mik! I'm excited to come see it.

Melanie said...

Looks so nice!! It is always a nice feeling to get new things..even if it is carpet! It looks great!

Amy said...

Your house looks so pretty. I need to do some decorating to my new house. Got any ideas on decorating?

Mary said...

Oh the joys of home improvement. It looks great! I think I've got a new carpet bug :)

Kristin and Dan said...

By the way, the picture of Connor and Aiden in the family room is awwwwesome. ha!! they look naked and have these priceless looks on their faces! HA!

Jackie said...

Mike, can we take you shopping with us next time so that you can turn around and tell us you will build it for us for $5? I know Neal would love doing all of that but how do you find the time? So impressive!

Emily said...

Wow, it looks amazing! Mike has saved you a TON of money over the years! Is he a computer geek on the side too? What doesn't this guy do?

samlyndseyfalkner said...

I think it looks great! You lucky girl you!!! :)

Kelli Proctor said...

LOVE it! Mike did an awesome job! It looks beautiful! Thats awesome that you heated your tile too! Hey maybe that James guy can give us a great deal on carpet, we already want to get new carpet, it it way too light for having 3 little boys! haha! Anyway, I love it, great job guys!

Tara said...

Your house looks great. I love the smell of new carpet. Go Mike! The tile looks beautiful.

Armstrong Family said...

Cool pics! The tile looks great! James does a great job with carpet, he's helped us deal with flooding a couple of times and always gives us the best deals--last time he had scrap pad so it didn't cost us anything (phew!). He put memory foam pad in their house and I just LOVE standing on it! Great choice! It all looks fabulous! Feeling the jealousy kick in as I look at my ruined carpet (thanks "professional" carpet cleaners!)

The Pitcher Family said...

Looks awesome. Can't wait to see it in person. James is a talented carpet man!

Paul/Heather said...

We need a MIKE. We need Mike to seal our grout. Paul and I just cant imagine doing it by ourselves....mike??? wanna help???
:)

Your house is beautiful! Congrats.

Kristy said...

I want new carpet pretty badly. And now I want it even more! I may even want it enough to seriously consider moving all of the furniture around! Looks great!

Anonymous said...

It looks AWESOME! Nice work Mike! I want to come see it sometime! One of these days we'll have to make it out that way...