Top 12 of '12
Well, I'm finally getting around to posting our "Top 12 of '12" post. Actually, I almost forgot to post my year-end recap, but I'm glad I didn't because it was an awesome year for us! Since this past year was '12 & there are 12 months in a year, I decided to pick the highlight of each month. So, in chronological order, here are our "Top 12 of '12"...
1) RESOLUTION TO TAKE OUR KIDS ON ONE-ON-ONE DATES EACH MONTH
This was seriously the best new years resolution of my entire life! We all had a great time together & really got to see our kids' personalities shine through when they were all by themselves. Sure, not all the dates went perfectly, but lots of them did. And, I think these dates have really strengthened our relationships with our kiddos! We've continued them into 2013 as well--and we've even branched out a bit by going to the Dinosaur Museum this month. I know--we're super adventurous! Not sure if I'll post about our dates each month anymore because they probably get boring & monotonous to all of you, but just know that they are continuing & we are loving them!
2) GRAVES DISEASE DIAGNOSIS
In February, I was diagnosed with Graves Disease. The name makes it sound a lot worse than it really is. Basically, my thyroid works way too hard, which in turn makes the rest of my body work way too hard as well. My doctor told me that my heart was beating as if it was running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. No wonder I'm so skinny! My doctor wanted to instantly take my thyroid out & then have me take synthetic thyroid hormones for the rest of my life. Usually, I'm the kind of gal that says, "Okay, you're the doctor, you know best." But, not this time. I didn't feel right about having my thyroid taken out. Everything in my being was telling me it was the wrong way to go. So, I told my doctor my concerns & he agreed to put me on an anti-thyroid drug that basically blocks my thyroid from producing so much of the hormone it produces. The problem with this drug is that it weakens your immune system & it's recommended that you take it for no longer than 12-18 months. He told me that we'd see if my body would correct the Graves Disease on its own during that time (a very slim possibility), but if it didn't, my thyroid would have to come out. Well, I have good news to report! I've been on the drug for 11 months now & my thyroid seems to be correcting itself! At the beginning, I was taking 2 1/2 pills a day...now I'm down to only a 1/2 pill a day and my thyroid is doing great! In six weeks, my doctor expects me to be off this medication completely! I can't tell you what a blessing this is! In cases of Graves Disease, only 5% of cases resolve themselves on their own. The other 95% are stuck with it for life & have to have their thyroids removed. I am so lucky & blessed to be in the 5%!!! Seriously, it's a blessing straight from heaven! I'm so glad I was prompted to not have my thyroid removed & that this disease seems to be correcting itself! It's just amazing to me!
3) TRIP TO NASHVILLE FOR KIMBER & SCOTT'S WEDDING
Last spring, Mike & I were able to take a trip out to Nashville for his sister's wedding...all by ourselves!! It was a great four days! Not only were we able to see Kimber & Scott get married, but we got to do some sightseeing as well. We went to Andrew Jackson's plantation, experienced the Grand Ol' Opry, visited the Opryland Hotel (Amazing!), and of course eat at all sorts of awesome southern restaurants. It was so much fun to see all of Mike's siblings & the place they call home (Mike is the only sibling that doesn't live in Nashville). We had a great time--and a huge thanks goes out to my parents, as well as Kristin & Dan, for watching our crazy kiddos so that we could go!
4) DOING MY GRANDPARENTS' TEMPLE WORK
In April, we were able to go to the Salt Lake Temple with most of the extended family on my Mom's side to do the temple work for her parents and some other ancestors as well, and then be there as she & her siblings were sealed to their parents. It was an awesome experience! It was the first time I had been to the Salt Lake Temple for a session. And, it was even more special to be there doing my grandparents' work. I love them to pieces & miss them everyday! I hope they accept it.
5) VACATION TO DISNEYLAND
At the end of May, on the day the kids got out of school, we headed to Disneyland with my parents for 10 days of fun! It was awesome! The kids were at great ages to go this time around. In fact, it was our first trip to Disneyland where we didn't have an infant that needed bottles & baby food. That made it so much easier! Two of the days we were there were super busy because they were the only two days of the summer that the cheapest yearly passholders were able to come, but the rest of the days weren't bad at all. Connor loved it because he was finally tall enough to go on every single ride, including California Screamin' which he's been dying to go on since he was three-years-old! Not only did we go to Disneyland, but we also drove down to Carlsbad to go to our favorite beach & we spent a day at Fashion Island too.
6) SURPRISING OUR KIDS WITH TICKETS TO BIG TIME RUSH
Connor & Aiden love Big Time Rush. They love to watch their show on TV, and always sing & dance to their music. So, when we found out they were coming to Salt Lake, Mike decided it would be fun to buy tickets & surprise the boys. They had no idea where we were taking them. Even when we pulled into the amphitheatre parking lot, they were still confused. It was so much fun to finally tell them & see their faces light up! We all had a great time!! But, unfortunately, our kids will forever & always have to say that their first concert was to Big Time Rush--something they probably won't be so proud of in a few years!
7) CONNOR'S TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO
This past summer, Mike's parents decided to take Connor on a trip *all by himself* to San Francisco. They were gone for five days & had a great time! They went to Fisherman's Wharf, Muir Woods (Redwood Forest), drove across the Golden Gate Bridge, went to all sorts of fun & cool museums, and Connor even got to sit in the cockpit of the airplane with Grandpa (major perk to having an airline pilot as your grandpa). He had a great time & loved having his grandparents all to himself for a few days. They are already planning his trip for next summer--this time to San Diego. The other kids will get their own individual vacations as well when they get a little older.
8) MIKE COMPETES IN LOTOJA FOR THE FIRST TIME
My dad has competed in LOTOJA (Bike race from Logan to Jackson Hole--206 miles total) for over a decade! Every year, Mike has watched him do it & wanted to do it himself. Well, this year was the year! Both he & Poppy competed & they did great!! It was fun to watch Mike accomplish something like this! He trained a lot over the spring & summer, and it all paid off when he crossed the finish line! Way to go both Mike & Poppy!!!
9) WEEKEND MORNING SHOW GOES BACK ON THE AIR
Back in June of 2009, the weekend morning show that I had been a part of for five years was cancelled, and I was moved to the weekend evening shift. Well, this past September, management decided to bring the show back & they asked me to do weather & co-host it--along with my weekend evening duties. It has been an adjustment getting used to the long hours each weekend, but I love being a part of the show again. It is a really fun show & I love my co-anchor, Amy Nay, which makes the 4:00 am wake-up call a little easier. The show is doing great so far, we already beat our competition in the first ratings book (November) and are planning on doing the same in February.
10) TRIP TO ST. GEORGE
In October, our family & my parents headed down to St. George for a long weekend. It was our one last hurrah before winter settled in. We hiked, shopped, swam, ate yummy food & just hung out for four days. It was a great weekend & a fun getaway!
11) FINISHING OUR BACKYARD
At the beginning of November, we officially finished our backyard--a project we've been working on for the past 2 1/2 years. We love how it turned out, especially the big firepit in the corner that Mike did all by himself. Now, we just can't wait for the 2 1/2 feet (Yes, I said *feet*) of snow that's back there to melt so that we actually enjoy it!
12) WRESTLING CHAMPS
And, finally, at the beginning of December, our boys proved again what awesome wrestlers they are! Connor won his final tournament of the season in his weight division (which makes FOUR straight tournament wins for him) and Aiden got 3rd in his division (against some seriously awesome wrestlers). It was another great wrestling season! This was Connor's last year to do city league. Next year, he'll start with a wrestling team & will be practicing over 6 hours during the week with tournaments on the weekends. Basically, I'll be living in my car driving him back & forth. Good times!
So that was the highlight from each month of 2012! I love doing these recap posts because it makes me realize how blessed I really am. Sometimes, in the day to day grind, you can get discouraged & only see the negative things that happen. But, posts like this, where you lump all your best moments from the past year together, make you realize how blessed you are to be given the awesome life that you have! I am so grateful for 2012 & all that it brought with it. Here's to hoping that 2013 is just as great...or maybe even better! --Lindsay














2 comments:
I love this idea! I might have to do a top 12 of 2012 myself! :) What a fun way to look back at all the big events and successes of the previous year. LOVED.
Another good year in the books! I didn't know your thyroid thing was doing so much better - way to keep me in the loop, sista. ;) but YAY, that's awesome!
Post a Comment