Thursday, September 27, 2007

I Love "Power Cooking"

Last night, for our monthly girls night, we learned how to power cook. It was so much fun! I've actually done it before, but I didn't call it "power cooking"...I called it, "Going to 'My Girlfriend's Kitchen' and paying $200". Anyway, we had a blast! Alicia taught us how to make 4 freezer meals (that will probably feed my family for about 6 or 7 days when you factor in leftovers) in about 30 minutes & gave us recipes for about 10 more. So, in a nutshell, here's how you "power cook":

You decide on several meals that you want to eat for the week ahead. Then, buy all the ingredients (a lot of the time, you'll find recipes that include similar ingredients--i.e. 2 different recipes both require 1/2 cup onion--if you're power cooking, then you'll be able to only buy one onion for both recipes...rather than buying two onions and having half of each go to waste). Then, go home and assemble all the meals for the week into freezer bags. Then, voila! You've made dinners for the entire week in about an hour or two! All you have to do each day is defrost them, throw them in a Pyrex or skillet for about 30-45 minutes, and then eat!

It was awesome! Plus, it was a blast to be making dinner while chatting with all my favorite friends...except the slackers that didn't come (you know who you are)! In fact, we said that we should do a power cooking day once a month. Sounds like a great idea to me! We had a blast, plus I now have dinners totally prepared for the next week! WOO HOO! --Lindsay

5 comments:

The Pitcher Family said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I know I am a slacker but the Circus called. I was sad that I missed it. Sign me up if you are going to do it once a month.

Anonymous said...

Your Mom power-cooks every Sunday and gives me leftovers for two weeks! Love Poppy

Amanda said...

What a dork I am! I kept getting e-mails from Alicia with "Pampered Chef" in the description. I thought she was just throwing a Pampered Chef party for Girls Night, had I actually paid attention, I wouldn't have made other plans.

Melanie said...

I want to come if you do it again..Sorry I couldn't make it! It sounds like you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

power cooking for you involves going to smith's and buying 5 frozen pizzas... one for each night that you are in charge of the cooking. then you just get it out of the freezer, cook it, and voila! yep, thats power cooking for lindsay.