Thursday, August 23, 2007

An Exciting Day All Around!

Yesterday was Connor's first day of school! He was so excited for it to start back up again! He was so sad when school ended back in May (remember the picture I posted of him?). I think I may be one of the few mother's in the world that has to "talk up summer". I would say, "Connor, summer is cool! You get to play with your friends all day everyday, without school getting in the way!" I talked it up so much, in fact, that I was scared he WOULDN'T want to start school...but I was wrong. I went into his room yesterday morning and said, "Connor...it's time to get up!" "Uhhhh..." is what I heard from underneath the covers. But, then I said, "It's the first day of school!" All of the sudden, a little four-year-old head popped up from under the sheets, and before I knew it, he was jumping out of bed saying, "Mom! I can't believe I get to go to school again! I'm so excited!" I haven't seen him get dressed and eat breakfast so quickly in a long time...probably not since May, I guess! Connor's teacher this year is Mrs. Bahr. She was Jaxon's (Connor's friend) teacher last year so Connor was pretty stoked! We met her Monday morning at the school open house & Connor automatically fell in love with her! We also had to go visit his old teacher, Mrs. Rodabaugh, to say "hello" to her. We walked into her classroom & she said, "Oh my stars & gardens! Connor Storrs! I have missed you so much!" (Do you see why Connor loved her so much? She is such a doll!) Anyway, back to the first day of school...


Connor had a great first day, although he did already get in trouble. Mrs. Bahr has little letter pictures hung up all over the room. Well, Connor sits right next to the letter "m". He decided the picture wasn't complete without a little stick figure of himself next to the lonely little letter, so he picked up a green crayon and begun his self-portrait. I walked into the room to pick him up just as he was beginning his hair. What's a mom to do? Mrs. Bahr just laughed about it & said it wasn't the first time a child had colored on it, and that it cleaned up easily. Still, I was flabbergasted that a four-year-old didn't understand the importance of first impressions. Oh well! Anyway, I think it should be a great year for him. He'll review all his letters for the next few months & then begin learning to read! Can you believe that? My baby...reading! I can't believe it! It should be a fun year!

So, that was Connor's exciting event for the day, mine came that same evening when I went to my monthly girls night. I forgot to take the camera with me, so there aren't any pictures...but it was a blast! We had a bunko night at the clubhouse. I lost big time! I guess my dice rolling abilities aren't up to par. Oh well! It was such a fun night...and who knew you could learn so much about people over a bunko game? Tami apparently has a fabulous "bell ringing talent" she never shared with any of us; Ashley discovered that one of my folding chairs is apparently lucky (but only for her...Jade got stuck in it for the rest of the night & couldn't get a bunko to save her life); Marni likes to roll bunko the second she picks up the dice...making for a lot of big fat 0's on my score card; Melanie makes a fabulous spinach dip that kept interfering with my game; Sis. Wallace's folding table is way too bouncy for bunko (another fact that played into my poor performance--I'm sure); Karin likes to get on rolling streaks that even SHE can't keep track of (there were several times when she would realize that she had gotten bunko 5 rolls earlier); Alicia is now the official "Bunko Queen"; & I apparently LOVE to eat her "dice rolling dust" (inside Facebook joke); oh, and also, if you eat too many sour skittles, you won't be able to feel or taste anything with your tongue for the next 12 hours! Overall, it was a great night! I LOVE my girls night girls! --Lindsay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very tuters pictures of the chunko! and by the way, that person that connor drew on the wall was actually me... he was sad that i couldn't be there with him, so he had to draw me on the wall next to him!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Connor will still be excited to go to school when he's in 8th grade! He's growing up way too fast. Soon Aiden will be in college (and still have some serious attitude which he gets from his NaNa).